Our mouth can only give up what is stored up in our mind. A person whose mind is polluted with profane thoughts, a person who’s mind is focused not on God…but on themselves, finds it easy to be dishonest, because dishonesty “seemingly” often works to our benefit. I SAY– that’s crap–dishonesty is always wrong! Jesus is wise in saying “be honest!”
I have found that we can view most anything through the lens of the Beatitudes (Matthew 5:3-11). Let’s look at how we apply the Beatitudes, the inner attitudes of our heart, to being honest–our YES being YES and our NO being NO:
1. Blessed are the poor in spirit: blessed are those who trust in God and don’t feel the need to have to lie to gain something in their lives (to gain money, pride, honor, power or whatever it is that we lie to gain for)
2. Blessed are those who mourn: blessed are those who see the wrong of their own untruths as well as the wrong of untruths told by others and how it hurts them.
3. Blessed are the meek: blessed are those who are strong in Christ and who don’t feel the need to lie to increase their status or something in their life. Blessed are those who accept who they are and accept their wrongdoing by relying on God.
4. Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness: blessed are those who hunger to be truthful, honest, and to be stand behind their word.
5. Blessed are the merciful: blessed are those who help their friends and family around them to see the great truths of God’s Words.
6. Blessed are the pure in heart: blessed are those who have discovered these truths, have put them to the test and who live their lives in God’s will.
7. Blessed are the peacemakers: blessed are those who despite the untruths of others, seek to not hate but to show Christ love.
8. Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness: blessed are those who stand strong in who they are, in truth and in spirit, and don’t allow those who would make fun of them for being honest or truthful to dull their spirit or to lead them down the wrong path.
This is a good exercise for keeping any life in check…..push anything through the filter of the Beatitudes and you will be able to recognize the blessings of a joyful life.